Thursday, July 17, 2014

The More You Look the More You See

Today I bought a little plastic pot with four okra starts in it.  My current okra plants seem thin and weedy and aren't producing much.  I think they got off to a bad start and then began making pods when they were still teenaged plants.  So I thought I would start over with sturdy plants from our Whole Foods/Greenlife grocery and see if they can catch up.  They're almost as big as my two month old plants already.

I used the slow slow relaxed method to paint them, only I didn't draw at all.  I relaxed the brush into the puddle of paint, and then I draped it and pulled it across the paper.  I broke in the middle of painting to go have dinner.  It usually takes my eyes a long time to start really seeing more and more, but after the break they snapped right back into the seeing.  I luckily have excellent close vision, no glasses needed;  so it is pure pleasure to sink deeper and deeper into the spaces and levels and tones and shadows.

2 comments: