Sunday, September 6, 2015

Silent Duck Grooming

I went for a long walk this morning.  My plan was to  stop at each mile and do a drawing of whatever showed up to be drawn, take a little break.  But then I missed the signal on Map My Walk when the first two miles were up, so I didn't do any drawing until I checked and saw I had gone 2.5 miles without a break.  It was beautiful along the river, and at the 2.5 mile place there was a silent group of ducks busily grooming themselves while floating in the water.  A large tree was down and crossing the river just upstream, and the water was very smooth and unruffled in the ducky place.  I threw out my plan and drew ducks in all their grooming attitudes.  These ducks were mostly white.  It was so quiet I could hear the soft splashy noises they would make from time to time.  To clear up my eyes I drew the smallest interesting things I could find nearby:  a leaf hopper on a spike stem of river cane and some shriveled up berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment